Adventures in Exercise

Pete still needs to lose about another pound in weight. He’s generally pretty lazy, so when he is in the mood to play, I try to encourage him as much as I can by winding up his wind-up toys for him, dangling his wand toys, etc.

A few weeks ago a friend of mine gave me a squeaky mouse toy for him because her own cat had thoroughly ignored it. I brought it home from work, fed Pete, and while he was eating, remembered the toy and got it out of my bag. It started to squeak as I picked it up and Pete did something I never imagined he would do – left his tea uneaten and came barrelling after the mouse. It’s been his favourite toy since the day he got it; he would chase it around the flat in a frenzy. But then, last weekend, something went wrong with squeaky mouse. The squeaker got stuck and poor squeaky mouse wouldn’t stop squeaking no matter how I shoogled it. So I ended up disembowelling it with scissors and then snapping the squeaker with a screwdriver while Pete was still trying to attack it. Sad times.

He’s shown very little interest in any of his other toys since the tragic demise of squeaky mouse. Blue mouse, green blob, ladybird – all of them wind-up clockworky things – no longer hold his attention. When he does enter one of his frantic periods of running around and jumping on/off things, it’s only for a few minutes and I can’t find anything that holds his interest or encourages him to extend playtime.

Sometimes when he’s awake and alert I try to encourage him to come for a little walk in the stair, down to the ground floor and maybe out into the back green. He’s been much more wary about going out since his fight and he almost never goes out without me now. 😦 Yesterday afternoon I managed to persuade him, with the use of Felix crispy salmon treats, down to the ground floor and up again, but he wasn’t up for pouncing on his toys. He was pretty sleepy for the rest of the day and then at about midnight, just as I was going to bed, he woke up and was very keen to play. He was running laps of the flat, so I propped the front door open so he could extend his laps to include the landing. He seemed in the mood for fun so I started throwing his wind-up toys along the landing for him and he spent probably 25 minutes running along the landing and up and down the stair with them, plus some time nosing around his treat ball (he still hasn’t worked out that if he pushes it, food falls out). It was the longest period of vigorous exercise I’ve ever seen him do!

He’s very sleepy today.