In Which Pete Goes To The Vet

As I was going to bed last night, Pete was in one of his skittish, playful moods. He was running from one end of the flat to the other, in and out of the catflap, on and off the furniture, killing his toys etc. Usually when he gets like that it only lasts 20 minutes or so, but it went on for a long time. I went to bed and left him to it, surprised he was so energetic for so long. Over the next couple of hours I heard him running about and several times going out of the catflap for a few minutes and then running back in again. Eventually he came in, meowed at me, was told “shush, it’s bed time, go to sleep,” jumped onto the bed and went to sleep.

He didn’t wake up until I woke up which is unusual. Most days, he’s awake by 0600 and purring in my face to say “I love you give me breakfast.” I got up and gave him his wet pouch and got ready for work. In the bedroom I noticed what looked like a small amount of gungy dried blood on the bottom end of the duvet cover where he had been sleeping, and when I went to look at Pete, he was lying in his bed, not asleep, just eyes half open and looking miserable. I put his dry food down and he didn’t even twitch, when usually he’s eaten it all before I’m out of the door.

It’s really dark here in the mornings just now and even with the lights on, it’s hard to see what’s going on with a black cat in artificial light. I ended up having to use my Fenix torch (bike light) to inspect him and his right ear was looking very gungy, with a thick black tarry mess inside it. Of course, I was so worried that the mouse he ate on Monday was poisoned and that Pete was bleeding from his ears because of the anticoagulants. I had stuff to do at work this morning that I couldn’t put off so I had to ask the vet for an afternoon appointment. When I got in from work, he’d obviously been asleep all day and still hadn’t touched his biscuits from the morning, and I got him into his carrier on the first attempt, so he obviously wasn’t right. I also noticed a large matted patch just behind his gungy ear.

He was very well behaved at the vet’s. He tolerated being examined very well and was quite content to lie on the bench being stroked while we all talked above his head. Once he was in the good light at the vet, it was very obvious that there is a slash in his ear, and that had caused the bleeding. He’s been fighting. That must have been what all the running in and out last night was. The vet didn’t want to clean the blood away in case it started to bleed again, so he’s still a bit of a mess, poor boy. He has a 5 day course of antibiotics – I’ll try poking them into prawns or bits of Philadelphia – and I will take him back if he gets an abscess or anything nasty. He had an uncooked chicken wing for tea when we got back and made very short work of it, bone and all, and he’s been fast asleep ever since.

I feel awful about it. I should have got up last night and checked on him when he was doing all the running about and maybe I could have prevented him getting into a fight. Poor Pete.